Stock that has increased in value is one of the most popular assets used for charitable giving once it has been held for more than one year. Making a gift of securities to us offers you the chance to help our organization while realizing many important benefits for yourself.
Profile of a Giver
If you answer yes to each of the following questions, a charitable gift of stock probably meets your needs. If not, we can help you find a different option that’s a better fit.
- Do you have securities that you’ve owned for more than one year that are worth more than you originally paid for them?
- Do you want to avoid paying taxes on their appreciation?
- Can you afford to give up ownership of these securities?
- Would you like to support NDSU today?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 800-279-8971 with the specifics of your securities transfer.
|Provide to your broker the following information:|
|Broker Name:||Reliance Trust|
|FBO:||F7 – Bell Bank|
|Further Credit To:||NDSU Foundation, Acct #: 620159012|
|Account Contact:||Shannon Gephart – (701) 451-3073 – email@example.com|
Robert Colace – (701) 451-3067 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following information:
- The number of shares
- Name and ticker symbol of the security
- Approximate value of the gift
- Gift designation of the stock transfer
Please note that the NDSU Foundation has a general policy to sell these gifts as soon as all relevant information has been received.
If you have the physical securities:
- Hand-deliver them to us or
- Mail us the stock and stock power separately.
If you don’t have possession of the physical securities:
- Instruct your broker to electronically transfer your intended shares shares utilizing the instructions above or
- Ask your broker to notify us once the transfer is complete
Please note: The steps above are for donating publicly traded stocks you have owned for more than one year that are worth more than when you first purchased them.
If you have stock losses:
- Sell the stock yourself to realize the loss and take any allowed deduction for tax purposes.
- Then generate a charitable deduction by donating the cash proceeds of the sale to NDSU Foundation.